Sunday, October 18, 2015

Help Isn't Always Helpful

So about a month ago I had a little accident walking down the stairs at school. This little accident, which was just a misstep, led to a moderate injury. I sprained my ankle and I bruised the cuboid bone in my foot. I still can't walk properly and I'm in at least a mild degree of pain most of the time. This experience has taught me a lot about community and dependence on G. But one of the most interesting lessons has actually been that help isn't always helpful. My injury has had two stages. The first was the two weeks I was on crutches, which was zero fun sir. People would try to help me by grabbing my arms and pulling me places. This caused more harm than good. I would end up tripping or putting too much pressure on my foot. The second stage of this injury has been the recovery after. I'm in pain and I walk with a limp, but I don't need crutches. During this stage, people have tried to help me by taking my hand and guiding me up stairs or over cracks in the sidewalk. It's so sweet and it doesn't really do harm, but it's easier if I just do it myself. So why am I writing this? To discourage you from helping? Of course not! Although it's always a good idea to ask someone how you can help. I'm writing this because I was reminded that sometimes we do this when people have emotional or spiritual problems. We are so quick to help and we feel the need to do something, but we end up being unhelpful or even harmful. Think of Job's friends. They just wanted to help, but they ended up speaking lies over Job. How many times are we quick to speak clichés or platitudes over people (basically canned encouragement) that just hurt them? Or try to rush them to get back on their feet? Maybe they just need us to be there. I don't need people to help me. I need people to walk with me and not get frustrated that we have to move slowly. Recovery takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment