Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Year I Couldn't Afford to Eat: Giving Food Stamps a Face

I graduated in 2012 with a degree in Social Studies Teaching. I had dreamed of being a teacher since I was 5 years old. My advisor informed me going into the program that it would be difficult to find a job in this content area. He was not kidding. If you know anything about History teachers, you know that they don’t quit, they retire. It is one of the areas of lowest need. I interviewed for one job after I graduated. One. There were several other candidates. I didn’t get it. Not enough experience. So, I decided to stay in my college town and become a substitute teacher. Glamourous work, of course. School started the first week of September. My first day of work was September 28th. I worked eight days in October. Doesn’t seem like much, but that was actually a big month for me. That good month. Yeah. I brought home $800. Most months, I averaged about $500-700. My rent was about $300. I could barely pay my bills, let alone buy food. In November, after borrowing money from a friend to pay my rent, I decided to go on food stamps. Not because I was lazy. Not because I didn’t work. But because I couldn’t afford to buy food. The thing about being a substitute teacher (in a district of about 3000 students) is you have to be available at all times, but days go by with no work. Because substitute teaching is the only way to gain experience so you can get permanent teaching job.  

Going on food stamps was a tough decision. We are taught that it is something of which we should be ashamed. Food stamps are for welfare queens and those too lazy to work. Unlike this stereotype, I had no baby daddies. No drug addiction. I had a job. I was clean. As was my house. Every time I went to the store and pulled out that card, I hoped that I wouldn’t run into someone that I knew. Every time I bought a bag of chips or a bottle of soda, I prepared my defense for those who criticized my choices. Not only are food stamps something shameful, but everyone knows that those on food stamps don’t deserve to eat junk food. They’re poor. They can’t have chips or a candy bar. They can only have healthy food. Chocolate and popcorn are only for those who can afford food.

You might be reading this wondering why I’m writing this; I haven’t actually used food stamps in two years. Well, there are a lot of things in the news right now. Measures in state congress to limit what people can buy with their food stamps. No junk food. No steaks. I’ve noticed, as these measures arise, a lack of compassion on social media. I have found that many of my acquaintances see those who use welfare as those who abuse it. I have seen things like, “I took my dog down to apply for food stamps. He’s lazy and doesn’t know his daddy. His food stamps will be here on Tuesday.” Or headlines like, “This new law is sure to upset welfare queens.” And people are applauding these things and agreeing with them. I decided to write this to put a face to food stamps. Maybe people can have more compassion for a 22 year old recent grad who is fighting to make ends meet. Or my 70 year old grandmother who makes just enough social security to pay her bills (with $7 leftover). She would starve without food stamps and the help of her local food bank.


So, before you crack jokes, think about your lack of compassion and remember the shame you are perpetuating. As for my fellow Christians, which of your brothers or sisters are you condemning? What are you doing to help people? Remember the words of James, “Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, ‘Be warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?”

No comments:

Post a Comment